WINTER VACCINATION PROGRAMME
Influenza – flu – is a highly infectious and potentially serious illness caused by influenza viruses. Each year the make-up of the seasonal flu vaccine is designed to protect against the influenza viruses that the World Health Organization decide are most likely to be circulating in the coming winter. The flu vaccinations are usually available from the middle of September until the end of March, but the surgery has a limited supply and tries to carry out all the flu vaccinations by the end of December.
During the winter months the surgery operates a certain amount of walk in clinics where the patients that are eligible for the vaccine can attend.
INFLUENZA IMMUNISATIONS - 2018
Please note that our flu clinics are now finished, if you need a flu jab and meet the criteria please phone the surgery on 0141 956 1339 to book an appointment with our practice nurse
Who is entitled to the flu vaccine?
- Patients aged 65 years and over
- Chronic respiratory disease aged six months or older
- Chronic heart disease aged six months or older
- Chronic kidney disease aged six months or older
- Chronic liver disease aged six months or older
- Chronic neurological disease aged six months or older
- Diabetes aged six months or older
- Immunosuppression aged six months or older
- Those living in long-stay residential care homes or other long-stay care facilities where rapid spread is likely to follow introduction of infection and cause high morbidity and mortality
- Unpaid Carers and young carers
- Pregnant Women - at any stage of pregnancy
Click on link before for more information:
1 Influenza vaccine - This vaccine is free to all patients 65 years and over and to patients considered to be at risk. All over 65's will receive a letter from the Health Board. Any patient who is eligible should attend the surgery at one of the drop in clinic therefore no appointment is necessary. If you already have an appointment around this time, the clinician may be able to vaccinate you during this appointment. More information is available on the flu link on the right hand side of the page .
2 Fluenz - This influenza vaccine is intended for children. It is being offered to all children normally at risk and all pre school children (aged 2 and above). Please note there is now a programme being delivered in the primary schools for Primary 1 - 7 year old children. All parents will receive a letter and a leaflet explaining the vaccine. Please call the surgery to book an appointment at one of our Childrens Flu clinics, if your child does not attend school. If your child is less than 18 years of age and 'at risk' they may be offered Fluenz (nasal flu vaccine).
More information is available on the flu link on the right hand side of the page .
3 Zostavax - This vaccine is for the prevention of Shingles. There is also a limited supply of this vaccine and for that reason this year it is being offered to patients aged 70-73 and 76 - 70 on the 1st September. Please make an appointment with Sister Bennet or Waterfield to have this vaccination.
More information is available here: